Monthly Archives: May 2019

Headspace service in demand

MORE than 340 young people have been helped by headspace Dubbo since it opened its doors at the start of this year.
Nanjing Night Net

They attended more than 1400 appointments.

Operations manager Peter Rohr reports that it is in “high demand”.

“We’re over the moon at the positive response to the headspace program in the Dubbo community,” he said.

“Young people and their families have really welcomed the services we have available.

“We’re excited to see how many young people are seeking support from the centre.

“Considering how new the service is, it’s outstanding to get to where we are in such a short space of time.”

The operations manager said headspace Dubbo offered a range of mental health and related services, delivered free to young people aged 12 to 25 years.

“We have a fantastic GP who comes in each week, along with psychologists, youth workers, sexual health nurses, tenancy advisers, as well as employment and study advisers,” he said.

“Many of these services are made possible by the support of our extremely valuable consortium partners.

“We’re in a fortunate position to be able to offer a range of supports under one roof, and all available in a youth-friendly and welcoming environment which we know is important for young people.

“If any organisations are interested in getting involved with headspace Dubbo or its consortium, please contact the centre on 5852 1900.”

Mr Rohr reported that headspace Dubbo was a finalist in the categories of excellence in community involvement and excellence in presentation and marketing of the Dubbo Chamber of Commerce Orana Mutual 2015 Rhino Awards

On its website, headspace is referred to as the National Youth Mental Health Foundation with centres across metropolitan, regional and rural Australia.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校

Hard to Swallow

The price, quality and seasonality of Australia’s food is increasingly being affected by climate change with Australia’s future food security under threat, a ground-breaking report by the Climate Council has revealed.
Nanjing Night Net

Australia’s food supply chain is highly exposed to disruption from increasing extreme weather events driven by climate change with farmers already struggling to cope with more frequent and intense droughts and changing weather patterns, the Feeding a Hungry Nation: Climate Change, Food and Farming in Australia report found.

The Climate Council’s Professor Lesley Hughes said Australia’s agricultural competitiveness in many agricultural markets will be challenged by the warming climate and changing weather patterns.

“Australia is one of the most vulnerable developed countries in the world to climate change impacts,” she said.

“This is already posing very significant challenges to food production. Food prices will continue to go up, the quality of food could be compromised and the seasonality of food could change as the climate continues to warm and weather patterns become more unpredictable.

“Many of our favourite foods, including milk, fruit, vegetables, wine and beef are already being affected by climate change and these impacts will grow as weather extremes get worse.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校

Borders shift on Williamtown contamination zone

The expanded map released on Friday. UPDATE:THE Environment Protection Authority has released this afternoon a new map of the expanded contamination zone around the RAAF Williamtown base.
Nanjing Night Net

The revised area now takes in properties to the north-east of the base, including Salt Ash, towards Tilligerry Creek.

Residents had been told not to drink water from private bores or use the water in food preparation. The ban now extends to water from dams, ponds, creeks and drains.

The earlier map of the contamination area, which has been expanded.

Toxic Truth: More stories

Toxic truth: Archive

By DONNA PAGE and DAMON CRONSHAW

THE environmental scandal engulfing Williamtown RAAF Base has widened as experts agreed to expand the contamination zone and investigate the threat to human health.

More residents to the north-east of the base, towards Tilligerry Creek, will be affected by the extended contamination zone after dangerous levels of fire-fighting chemicals were detected in surface water further afield.

Another round of testing will be conducted that could see the zone extended even further.

However, health authorities have dismissed residents’ calls for human blood testing, saying it would have no value.

Instead, they would conduct a ‘‘human health risk assessment’’.

Rhianna Gorfine of the Williamtown and Surrounds Residents’ Action Group speaks to an expert panel regarding the RAAF scandal. Picture: Ryan Osland

The expert panel tasked with examining the contamination threat met at Newcastle Airport on Thursday afternoon and later informed residents of the decision.

It was a day of high-level meetings that included NSW Environment Minister Mark Speakman and federal Assistant Minister for Defence Darren Chester.

Mr Speakman said the government was doing everything it could to address the problem, adding that his advice was that the risk remained low.

Academics said scientific literature showed the risk to people could not be quantified.

Residents said they want government to do more testing and act faster on the problem.

Mr Chester said he was ‘‘keen to make sure we’re seen in Defence as being responsible corporate citizens’’.

‘‘We need to do whatever we reasonably can to alleviate the current situation,’’ Mr Chester said.

NSW chief scientist and panel chair Mary O’Kane said the latest surface water test results were received by the Environment Protection Authority on Thursday morning.

‘‘Based on a preliminary review of those results, the panel resolved as a precautionary measure to extend the current investigation area further from the RAAF base in an easterly direction towards the areas covered by the existing fishing bans,’’ she said.

Environment Protection Authority Hunter region manager Adam Gilligan said this zone extended ‘‘a number of kilometres to the north-east towards Tilligerry Creek’’.

An updated map is expected to be issued by the EPA on Friday.

Ms O’Kane said residents were advised not to drink water from private bores or use the water in food preparation.

The ban extends to water from dams, ponds, creeks and drains.

Town water is safe, but many residents in the affected area are not connected.

Newcastle councillor Michael Osborne, who attended the meeting on behalf of Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes, described the outcome as ‘‘very concerning’’.

‘‘The reality is they don’t have a handle on the extent of the contamination or what it means,’’ he said.

‘‘Right now they are conceding not enough sampling and testing has been done.

‘‘More sampling will be carried out which could redefine the boundaries again.’’

Cr Osborne said the human health risk assessment ‘‘should have been done years ago’’.

The chemicals PFOA and PFOS – contained in disused fire-retardant foams – were used on the RAAF base for 50 years to 2012.

In 2005, chemical company DuPont was fined almost $20million for failing to alert the US environmental regulator to the ‘‘substantial risk of injury to human health or the environment’’ caused by PFOA.

‘‘This is a clear example of how not to manage an issue like this,’’ Cr Osborne said.

‘‘There has been a real failure from Defence and the NSW government agencies.’’

Residents in the zone have been warned not to eat eggs from backyard chickens or use milk from cows or goats that have been drinking bore or surface water.

Fish, prawns and wild oysters caught in the area have also been banned.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校

Dunsborough Butcher crowned sausage Royalty

Butchers Danny Duane and Robbie Tan are proud of their achievements A VEGETARIAN and a butcher walk into a shop.
Nanjing Night Net

No this isn’t a bad joke, this is my next news story.

It is somewhat ironic asI am the only vegetarian in the Busselton-Dunsborough Mail office; I’m not sure why I keep getting stories about Sausage King Finals.

Maybe my editor doesn’t like me?

But I’m certainly proud to share the good news about a hard working local business.

Dunsborough butchers Reef by the Beef have been crowned Sausage Royalty, taking out first place in the State in the Australian lamb class.

This means the butchers will be representing not just Dunsborough, but all of Western Australia in Brisbane for the Nationals next February.

Beef by the Reef came second in the 2014 Nationals and the butchers are hoping to take the first place plaque back with them this time.

The sausages that sizzled in the competition where the traditional BBQ, Australian Pork, Australian lamb and the continental Italian sausage.

Butcher and owner Robbie Tan believes it’s a lot of love that makes their sausages special.

“We use fresh, good quality, local meats, which really reflects in our products,” Mr Tan said.

“We will also make custom sausages to order, we like to go above and beyond for our customers.”

Despite my preference for veggies, I wish the butchers all the best in the nationals.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校

Companies sought for $46.5 million works

An artist’s impression of the Bendigo Stadium expansion.CONSTRUCTION companies will be sought from this weekend to complete $46.5 million of major construction workin the City of Greater Bendigo.
Nanjing Night Net

The council will call for expressions of interest from Saturday for the construction of the $30 million aquatic centre in Kangaroo Flat and the $16.5 million expansion of the Bendigo Stadium.

The two projects are believed to be the largest package of works to be completed in the City of Greater Bendigo.

The final design of the aquatic centre will be determined when a centre operator is chosen.

A petition opposing the demolition of the Kangaroo Flat Community Leisure Centre –to make way for the aquatic centre –will be discussed bycouncil next week.

Bendigo mayor Peter Cox said he could understand the disappointmentfrom some in Kangaroo Flat at the demolition of the leisure centre, but said council was committed to “moving on with the project”.

“In public life, council can’t satisfy everybody’s needs all the time,” he said.

“I think we’ve done our very best to get the best possible outcome with a mix of retaining public open space, retaining the oval, and building a new aquatic and wellbeing centre.”

Cr Cox was one of four councillors to vote against the project in its current form when it came before council earlier this year.

Despite his previous position, he said the aquatic centre would be a “win-win” for the city.

Construction of the aquatic centre is expected to begin in the early part of 2016, and will take 15 months to complete.

The interior design of the aquatic centre will be finalised when an operator is chosen.

Council will also enter a procurement process for the Bendigo Stadium development, which includes a new 4000-seat arena and the expansion of other sporting areas.

The project is expected to take 12 months and will also begin early next year.

Bendigo Stadium chairman Brendon Goddard said it was pleasing to see the project moving to the next stage.

“We’ve workedon this since 2009, so this is a very long gestation period. So the quicker we can start, the better off we’ll be,” he said.

“No other place in Bendigo will be able to seat 4000. We reckon we can seat about 2000 on the floor of it as well, so there’s opportunities.”

The aquatic centre included $15 million in state government funding, plus funding from the City of Greater Bendigo, the Kangaroo Flat Community Enterprise and the commercial operator.

The stadium expansion has been funded with $10 million from the Bendigo Stadium, $5 million from the state government and $1.5 million from the City of Greater Bendigo.

Director of city futures Stan Liacos said there would be opportunities for dozens of local businesses to be involved in the build of the two projects.

Contractors can express their interest at 梧桐夜网tenderlink南京夜网/bendigo

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校