Monthly Archives: June 2019

Daniel cracks the top 1000

SLICE…Daniel Hobart moving swiftly to the ball in a recent match of the Australian Futures Tour.Our tennis star Daniel Hobart has cracked the top 1000 in the world, with a current singles ranking of 989 and doubles ranking of 899.
Nanjing Night Net

This is a huge jump from the position he finished in at the end of last year, with a singles ranking of 1839 and doubles 983.

Daniel put his improvement down to, “working hard and gaining more experience”.

The 17-year-old has been busy refining his skills and technique all over the world in that last few month and this past week in Alice Springs, as a part of the Australian Futures Tour. Returning home to Mount Barker soon, Daniel, formerly of Port Pirie, will finalise his Year 12 commitments and move freely into his well- deserved professional tennis career.

Daniel has been recently nominated for the Sport SA Country Athlete of the Year award, with the winners soon to be announced.

His booked-up schedule with tournaments in the Australian Futures Tour will see him through to Christmas, after which Daniel will be completely focused on the Australian Open.

His father Brenton Hobart said Daniel will be hoping to do well in the junior singles competition, make the qualifying finals for the men’s singles and also perform well in the doubles at the Australian Open.

Reflecting on his progressively improving performance, Daniel said, “There is still a lot of work to do”.

The young gun is definitely one to keep your eye on as he climbs through the ranks at a rapid rate.

Daniel said he hopes to crack the top 500 by the end of next year.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网

Ominous portents for a catastrophic bushfire season

THIS week’s fire emergency a few hours down the road is an ominousprelude to a bushfire season thatthreatens to erupt.
Nanjing Night Net

Two homes, six sheds and two vehicles have been destroyed in the 4000-hectare blaze near Lancefield, which was sparked by a government-controlled burn-off.

Any summer in our hot, dry continentpresents fertile bushfire conditions.

But the portents of doom areparticularly strong this season.

Just a week into October, and the region is sweltering through an unseasonal mini-heatwave, with the mercury nudging 35 degrees in Wagga on Tuesday.

September was the third driest on record nationwide and forecasters have warned the dry hand of El Nino is likely to extend its reach over much of the continent in coming months.

Couple that with a high fuel-load onthe ground, caused by a wet winter and an asphyxiating dry spell, and a dramaticreduction inburn-offs, and you have a recipe forcatastrophe.

We don’t have to glance far back intohistory to see how real the threat is.

The fire crisis that engulfed the BlueMountains two years ago offers a soberingreminder of how fleeting fate can be inour sunburnt country.

And it was just over 18 months ago that homes were destroyed by a furious bushfire south-east of Wagga.

Despite the freshness of thosetragedies, recent surveys suggest only afraction of residents have properemergency preparedness plans forbushfires.

The message is simple: if you live nearbushland, you need to be prepared forthe prospect of a bushfire coming nearyour home.

Ensure your home is free from debrisand old leaves, and keep woodpiles andother flammable materials well awayfrom the house.

Keep your lawn short and thebackyard tidy and consider purchasinga portable pump to use from yourswimming pool or water tank.

We are on the cusp of a long, hotsummer where a perfect storm offactors means the bushfire threat is at apeak.Complacency is as big a threat as thefire itself.It could cost you your houseand belongings, or even worse, your life.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网

Little interest on water security plan in Beaudesert

Seeking feedback: Seqwater senior planning engineer for integrated master planning Jim Fear, community relations adviser Tina Donovan and water supply planning manager Mick Drews hosted a public meeting to seek feedback on the Seqwater water security plan.A PUBLIC meeting to get feedback on a 30-year water security plan for south-east Queensland attracted little interest in Beaudesert on Wednesday.
Nanjing Night Net

Less than a handful of people attended the meeting which bulk water supplierSeqwater hosted at The Centre on Brisbane Street.

The meeting was part of a 12-month community consultation program on 30-year plan Waterfor life: South East Queensland’swaterfuture 2015-2045.

Seqwater external relations manager Mike Foster said he was not surprised by the low turnout because it was unlikely any major works would be required until 2030.

“We wanted to do the neighbourhood meetings on the basis of giving people a chance to come along if they wanted to have a chat but it’s fair to say the small numbers seen in Beaudesert are pretty reflective of what we’ve seen across the region,” he said.

“It’s not surprising given the decision of any source is not actually imminent – it’s not happening for such a a long period of time.

“My message is people will continue to hear from us, we’ll continue to give people the opportunities to come in and have their say.”

To view the plan and give feedback visit yourseqwater南京夜网419论坛, email [email protected]南京夜网419论坛 or phone 1800 771 497.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网

Making our waterways safer

Tenders are open for the construction of a rock ramp and fishway at the South Dubbo weir.Tenders are open for the construction of a rock ramp and fishway at the South Dubbo weir.
Nanjing Night Net

Dubbo City Council director technical services Stewart McLeod said the weir safety improvements included the construction of a rock ramp and fishway and would be completed early in 2016.

Since it was built in 1942, nine people have drowned at the weir, two of which occurred in 2008 and 2011.

“The construction will take place in accordance with approved designs and include creating a number of ridges and pools on the downstream side of the weir to create the ramp.

“Importantly the construction will have to ensure the protection of the existing weir, maintain the existing river flows and have contingencies in place in case of high flows throughout the construction period.

“This will involve putting in diversions around the work area to maintain the river flow while also preventing any pollution to the river downstream or upstream of the operations. “The fishway is created by creating a series of ridges of large rocks with spaces in between. Migrating fish will be able to swim from pool to pool and eventually swim upstream of the weir.”

Construction is expected to start in December. During construction the area will not be accessible to the public.

Dubbo City Council has allocated $4 million in its 2015/2016 Draft Operational Plan and Budget to construction works at the South Dubbo Weir.

Initially, council would have had to fork out $1 million of that funding just to acquire the weir from the NSW government, however that was reduced to about $15,000.

The $857,000 was based on the value of the weir itself, however after council pursued to attain the weir at “a nil or nominal cost” from the NSW government, only the value of the land plus reasonable administrative and legal costs would need to be paid.

Tenders will be received up to 10am November 3 and a mandatory site meeting will be held on October 21.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网

Krystle clear on why she’s in the pageant

Dubbo’s Krystle Bourne is vying for the title of Miss Australia International. Photo: Syham Elomar
Nanjing Night Net

ONE of five women vying to be the next Miss Australia International is proud to call Dubbo home.

Sydney-based Krystle Bourne is new to the world of pageants but an old hand at raising money for good causes.

It was the chance to help a favourite charity that convinced Ms Bourne to take part in her first-ever pageant.

The 26-year-old was told of the Miss Australia International contest and encouraged to enter it by a Myer work colleague impressed by her efforts to help others.

At Hornsby, Sydney City, Blacktown and Castle Hill stores she has joined committees and helped staff raise money for charities, with Myer providing matching money.

The annual exercise has nurtured a charitable bent in the young woman who entered the pageant for one reason.

“We got to choose a charity to promote during our time in the pageant,” Ms Bourne said.

“I chose the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). I’ve always had a love of animals”.

Pets were aplenty in the Dubbo household of Ron and Margaret Bourne, parents of a young woman “proud to be their daughter and grateful for their constant support”.

The couple brought their daughter to Dubbo where she was about six months old.

She was educated at St Pius X Primary School, Buninyong Public School and Dubbo College’s South and Senior campuses.

After completing her secondary education, Ms Bourne worked for a year at Dubbo’s Comfort Inn Blue Lagoon and Shoe Shuffle.

In 2009, with a puppy rescued from the city’s animal shelter under her arm, she moved to Sydney to study for a degree in fashion design at the Whitehouse Institute of Design.

Paris the Chihuahua is still her treasured companion and a reminder of the goals of the IFAW to “rescue individual animals, protect entire populations and preserve precious habitat”.

Ms Bourne is accepting donations for the IFAW at 梧桐夜网gofundme南京夜网/missaust4ifaw.

She is also seeking at least one sponsor to optimise her chance of winning the title and representing Australia at the Miss International pageant in the United states next year.

Entrants in the Miss Australia International contest get 20 bonus points if they “have been active in the community and located sponsors”.

“The sponsorship goes to the overall pageant and running of the pageant,” Miss Bourne said.

Potential sponsors of Miss Bourne should contact pageant director Ferial Youakim on 1300 595 898.

The contest’s “crowning ceremony” will be held at the King’s School theatre at Sydney on November 7.

Miss Bourne believes judges are looking for “someone who is dynamic and passionate about the charity they have chosen and really believe in what they are doing”.

“I think it’s really important to be well-rounded,” she said.

Currently a sales manager at Myer Castle Hill, a grounded Miss Bourne is planning for her future beyond the pageant.

“I have aspirations to be an assistant store manager, then hopefully a store manager or maybe a buyer,” she said.

Mrs Australia International and Miss Teen International will also be crowned at the November 7 ceremony.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 南京夜网